Art practice is now understood primarily as a vehicle for the reflection of modes of reception and theory rather than as a mode of making…Paul Crowther
It is improbable that more nonsense has been written about aesthetics than about anything else: the literature of the subject is not large enough for that (Clive Bell)

Index

*********************
*********************
The Index is found here
*********************
*********************

Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Vitamin P4

 


Something has indeed been happening in the Vitamin P series. Beginning with P3,  Aesthetic has been advancing over concept as artists of all ages have been selected.  A new look is replacing a new idea - and anything really beautiful always appears as new.

The introduction to P4 was written by Suzanne Hudson.  Being a proper professor of art history, she writes as a clinical analyst,  not a passionate observer.  But  at least she’s human, while the text of another book that covers the same list of artists,  ”The  Art of Now : The Vitamin P4 Era”  appears to have been written by artificial intelligence. I suppose it doesn’t really make any difference - both essays are soulless so have nothing to say to those outside the mainstream artworld.

The full text is not yet free online - and only 33 of the 108 artists have been listed so far -but that's a good start.



Once again, I’ve searched the internet for preferred examples.

In many cases, the piece I show is the only one I liked, but I've had that experience with much earlier artists as well ( William Bouguereau's "Nymphs and Satyr" of 1873 -  damn, I love that painting)


Tunji Adeniyi-Jones, b. 1992

Had some difficulty finding one I liked.  Usually the figurative silhouettes don’t quite fit into the pattern.  But this one is gorgeous - and as Classical as the figures running across the surface of an ancient amphora.  The re-birth of Art Deco.



Firelei Báez, Marine Hospital, 97 x 125”


Firelei Báez, Joy out of Fire (detail)




 

Alvaro Barrington



Closed Geometry

A tribute to Ophelia by Waterhouse?



Maria Berrio

Sadly, she hardly ever paints this way 


Anna Boghiguian, b. 1946

Do all ABX Armenians paint like Arshile Gorky? 


Anna Boghiguian

Her paintings also make for nice tapestries


Miriam Cahn, b. 1949

One of her few pieces that I can relate to.
Reminds me of the final image from “The Seventh Seal”




 
Sandra Cinto b. 1968

Completely dissolves the brutality of a big blank wall.
Relates it to the surrounding landscape.




Felix de Clercq, b. 1997

Surprisingly, this young artist only paints ordinary scenes.
This is the only one I liked..
Possibly the young man is traveling through Europe,  waking up in his rented room, and eager to face a new day. 






Eliza Douglas, How to Survive in this World, 2017,  71 x 90 “
Hope that elevator is well heated.


Kyle Dunn, b. 1990





Jadé Fadojutimi, b. 1993

Given their non-figurative tradition, you have to figure that Arabs would be the best abstract painters.





Louis Fratino, b. 1993

Something to be said for a life of vibrant hedonism
(though it may be a short one)





 Cy Gavin, b. 1985, Untitked ( Beaver Dam ) ,  2021 (detail)

Good old fashioned ABX,



Vojtech Kovárík, b. 1993

Fit to decorate the walls of a Sumo stable.




Ad Minoliti, b. 1980

The overwhelming yin of queer abstraction


Paul P , b. 1977

followed by an old fashioned queer taste for cute boys


 

Qian Xiaofei, b. 1977

The exact inverse of social realism






Michaela Yearwood-Dan,  b.  1994 We’ll be Free (someday), 94 x 78”



Detail

Further detail


I get the feeling that Michaela knows she is not long for this world, so she is trying cram everything she feels into each painting.

This one I like.



***********


Artists who did not interest me:


When Ching-Yuan

Botond Keresztesi

Hao Liang 

Lubaina Himid

Kei Imazu

Mit Jai Inn

Matthew Krishanu

Kelly Sinnapah Mary

Victor Man

Daniel Correa Mejía

Tschabalala Self

Salman Toor

Kay Walkingstick

Dyani White Hawk

Sawangwongse Yawnghwe




No comments:

Post a Comment